Write at the Merge: Week 2

writing prompt Welcome back to Write at the Merge, our newly formatted prompt at Write on Edge. If you missed last week, we’ll offer two …somethings …for you to use as your inspiration for the week. The link opens when the prompt goes up and remains open until Thursday at midnight.

A three and a half hour car ride with my music selection gives my husband hives. We operate under the law of the driver, where the one at the wheel has final say on what gets popped into the CD player. Much to his delight, last weekend Ryan unearthed a practically ancient Nirvana Unplugged CD from amidst my other, less desirable selections. I hope one of the tracks, plus the image below, inspires something for you this week.

image courtesy of comicpie (via Flickr Creative Commons)

image courtesy of comicpie (via Flickr Creative Commons)

Happy Writing!

12 Responses to Write at the Merge: Week 2
  1. F.T. Murphy
    January 6, 2013 | 9:24 pm

What an interesting prompt! I love this whole MTV Unplugged set of Nirvana. I’m not a huge Nirvana fan, but the unplugged set was historic. I better get thinking!

• angela
      January 7, 2013 | 7:02 pm

I feel the same way. It’s not my favorite band, but I love the Unplugged CD.
      ~Angela

2. cait
    January 7, 2013 | 1:24 am

I used to join in the link up, but took a break, and have now come back to this new version. Is it still fiction or memoir, top word count being 500? And do you *have* to combine both picture and music prompts?

• angela
      January 7, 2013 | 7:02 pm

Cait, I’m going to add a link that explains it a little more, but the nitty-gritty is: 500 word limit each week, the linky is open from the time the prompt is up until Thursday at 11:59 p.m., it can be any sort of writing you want (fiction, memoir, creative non-fiction, poetry), and you can use either the picture or the music or both!

• cait
        January 8, 2013 | 1:00 pm

Thanks! It’s all coming clear… :)

3. beebeesworld
    January 7, 2013 | 4:45 pm

tell me more about write on merge-I loved the nirvana-i would like to write more than 100 words like most prompts want-i do “write on Edge”
    thank you! beebeesword@wordpress.com

• angela
      January 7, 2013 | 7:00 pm

This post explains Write at the Merge a little more, but basically… you have 500 words to write about the way the two given “things” prompt you. For this week we have the Nirvana song and the balloon image. Write at the Merge is all about YOUR interpretation of the prompt. You can write fiction, memoir, poetry. You can use one thing or the other or both together. We just want to spark something and love reading how people interpret!

4. Fiction: Plateau | iasoupmama.com
    January 8, 2013 | 12:07 pm

[...] (first line and photo) from The Speakeasy at Yeah Write and two (word prompt and song prompt) from Write at the Merge on Write On Edge. Visit the sites to see what the prompts were and to read some excellent writing [...]

5. Cj
    January 9, 2013 | 5:30 am

I’m sorry to report that I just am not inspired by your new prompt format. Last week, I couldn’t understand one word of the lyrics, even with the printed words, and didn’t like the music. I’m not into Nirvana, either. Although I have responded to your prompts from time to time in the past, I haven’t been highly active with your writing prompts due to lack of time, but now that I have more time, I wanted to participate more often, but now I’m uninspired. With your previous prompts, even if I didn’t participate, I almost always had an idea immediately. These last 2 weeks, I just stared blankly at my screen with absolutely no idea whatsoever of what to write about. Maybe it is a generational thing. I haven’t listened to popular music since the mid 70′s, so it doesn’t speak to me at all.

• angela
      January 9, 2013 | 5:51 am

CJ, I’m sorry to hear that the last two prompts left you feeling a little blank. That wasn’t our intention at all. Write at the Merge was actually designed to give people MORE options about how to interpret the prompts not to leave you feeling uninspired. The two given mediums will not always include a song, so hopefully this week’s might spark something for you. And remember, you definitely don’t have to use both “things” that are given. Last week we also used the word “wish” and this week offered an image, and I’m very sorry that neither of those spoke to you on their own.

6. A Different Kind of Action | Tread Softly
    January 10, 2013 | 4:05 pm

[...] gave us Nirvana’s Plateau (the Unplugged version) and an image of hot air balloons. Visit Write on Edge to link up yourself and read other [...]

7. [...] wonderful selections can be found at the link up post, so if you haven’t read them yet, try to visit at least a couple. We hope to see you Sunday [...]