My Lighthouse

Thoreau quote The sky is dark by the time I begin writing each night. Of course I steal words throughout the day, but most of my writing and editing happens when the kids are in bed and my thoughts aren’t competing with constant questions and spontaneous hugs.

Progress doesn’t always happen on the schedule I set forth in my head, but I find my words wandering to the page nonetheless. Stories continue to unfold in my head even when only snippets of them remain in any sort of edited state. I am comfortable knowing I am in a better writing space in my head — and in terms of production — than I was at this time last year.

Still, part of me yearns to reach past comfort and throw myself headfirst into a project. And that part of me is seriously considering the invitation of a real-life friend to spend two nights away in an effort to create our own mini-retreat just as spring begins to consider moving into summer. There’s something appealing about spending a couple days with two other writers, alternately holing up with our own words and reading over theirs.

The blogging world talks about blog conferences, and I have to admit they appeal to the social part of my personality. I attended Blissdom last February, finding inspiration in the sessions, sure, but finding a sense of community as well. Much of what I gleaned from that weekend involved spending time with like-minded people, laughing and talking and having cocktails and talking more. I came home rejuvenated, ready to move forward and haven’t really felt my voice grow quiet since then.

When I think of how much that weekend helped me formulate my blogging goals, I get just a “little bittle” (to borrow from Thoreau) giddy about the idea of a writer’s retreat. Surrounding myself with people dedicated to their craft and at various points in their works-in-progress sounds heavenly at the end of a long day followed by a long evening of cramming writing time in between my kids’ bedtimes and mine.

We’ve mentioned it before, but the Write on Edge team is planning to offer a writer’s retreat, likely in 2014. Though many months linger between now and then, many words to be loosed from my mind before that point, it burns like a lighthouse pulling me towards a weekend of inspiration. And like Thoreau said: “One must maintain a little bittle of summer, even in the middle of winter.”

Would you be interested in attending a writer’s retreat for the Write on Edge community?

34 Responses to My Lighthouse
  1. Erin@MommyontheSpot
    January 15, 2013 | 5:18 am

I felt the same exact way after attending BlogHer! I would love to attend a writing retreat. I’ve looked into local writing groups, but I haven’t found one that focuses on nonfiction. Please keep me posted!

January 15, 2013 | 5:23 am

We will definitely keep everyone posted. We’re working on finding a location that works for the “writer’s” part of the retreat experience.

2. erin margolin
    January 15, 2013 | 5:45 am

yes. yes. YES.
    I am going to Blissdom in March, but like you said….a more focused writing retreat? Sounds amazing. Intimidating for sure, but…I would be ALL IN, especially for this.

Let me know if/how I can help.

xoxo

p.s. SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

January 15, 2013 | 5:50 am

Well, it wouldn’t be for about a year, but I love hearing you would be interested. We’d like to have a place to come together as a community, to share and to also have uninterrupted WRITING time :) xo

3. Tracie
    January 15, 2013 | 5:46 am

Yes! I think that would be amazing!

January 15, 2013 | 5:51 am

Yay! I think so many of us would just like the chance to sit with like-minded people. And then by ourselves, to write :)

4. Sisters from Another Mister
    January 15, 2013 | 6:05 am

Small groups are the best when it comes to helping eachother. recently my dear friend, Kelly of Mom Got Blog and the lovely Jenn of Daze of Adventure came to my house for the weekend – it was quite the brainstorm!

January 15, 2013 | 7:45 pm

You had your own mini-con! xo

5. Stacey
    January 15, 2013 | 6:29 am

I went to a writer’s retreat a few years ago and it was amazing. I would absolutely be interested in attending!

January 15, 2013 | 7:45 pm

Wonderful! I love hearing positive stories about them.

6. Kelly
    January 15, 2013 | 7:45 am

Absolutely would do this!!!! I need a place to connect with writerly kindred spirits….as Nicole mentioned – a long weekend with common goal is perfect!!!

Keep me posted!

January 15, 2013 | 7:46 pm

Of course Kelly! We’d love to have you!

7. Roxanne
    January 15, 2013 | 8:17 am

I’ve always avoided the blogging conferences (and not just for monetary reasons) because my goal is not to be a blogger or make money from my blog. A writer’s retreat is something I need and would love to participate in. But, again, monetary reasons always come in conflict. If it were on the West coast, it would be easier for me. But I suppose anywhere it is, I would try my best to come and participate.

January 15, 2013 | 7:49 pm

Money is not fun to deal with, is it? We will keep everyone posted as details start to fall into place.

8. Ash
    January 15, 2013 | 8:39 am

I’m with Roxanne, in my dreams I’d commit in a second. Securing airfare might be the hitch, but oh how I want to be there.

Guess that means I should be writing ;)

January 15, 2013 | 7:49 pm

You should be writing anyway :) Right? (Wait, that’s pushy, huh?)

• Ash
        January 16, 2013 | 4:17 am

More like a soft nudge. Just right. Just write.

9. barbara
    January 15, 2013 | 12:18 pm

I promised myself I would attend more workshops and classes this year, so the idea of a writing retreat (even if it’s a year away) definitely appeals to me. Cost is always a factor, but if possible I would attend.
    b

January 15, 2013 | 7:53 pm

Oh good! We will definitely do our best to keep it affordable.

10. Kathleen Basi
    January 15, 2013 | 12:41 pm

I so sympathize with the spontaneous questions, hugs, and other interruptions! I love the idea of a writer’s retreat. I’ll be waiting anxiously for information, in the hopes that I can attend! For us it’s the little tiny matter of four small children to care for…that can only get easier once they can stay home with their biggest brother for a babysitter, but that’s a ways off yet.

January 15, 2013 | 7:44 pm

That’s so tough, once they are children and not so much babies, it’s so much harder to bring them along. And leaving them home gets complicated.

11. Dawn
    January 15, 2013 | 12:57 pm

Strangely, I have never thought of something like this before. And now it seems so obvious! I think a writers’ retreat would be a wonderful way to boost productivity as well as to network and receive valuable input. What a fantastic idea!

January 15, 2013 | 7:43 pm

I’m glad you like the idea!

12. Angie Kinghorn
    January 15, 2013 | 2:17 pm

I would love to! Obviously subject to location, cost, childcare arrangements, etc. (isn’t everything writing related subject to childcare arrangements?), but it sounds fantastic.

January 15, 2013 | 7:43 pm

This is the truest comment ever. Yes, everything writing related is subject to childcare for those of us with little-ish ones!

13. Brianna
    January 15, 2013 | 4:47 pm

Possibly. Depends if I get a vacation next year. I may have to borrow against 2014′s vacation for things happening this year.

January 15, 2013 | 7:41 pm

Vacation time is always so tricky :(

14. Renee Schuls-Jacobson
    January 15, 2013 | 5:43 pm

Are you kidding? YES! YES! YES!

I’m hoping to go to Blissdom with @ErinMargolin up there and a bunch of other fabulous writers. As a former English professor, I’d love to be on the OTHER side of the desk. Probably.

January 15, 2013 | 7:40 pm

I loved Blissdom so much. You’ll love it.

15. Renee Schuls-Jacobson
    January 15, 2013 | 5:44 pm

Ooops! Here I am!

16. shelton keys dunning
    January 15, 2013 | 6:20 pm

I’ve never been on a retreat but I’m game if there’s food. LOL

Of course, subject to time, cost, location, cost…but I’d love the opportunity to meet all the wonderful members in this remarkable community!

January 15, 2013 | 7:39 pm

Of course food! I’m so glad you’re interested :)

• Cameron
      January 15, 2013 | 8:44 pm

Would we get to find out who you are behind the pseudonym? Because you’re like the official mystery woman of Write on Edge!

17. Victoria KP (@vic39first)
    January 16, 2013 | 12:01 am

I’d LOVE this. Like everyone else, time, place and money will all be factors. But if it works, I’m in!